NewFO Challenge January, 2014

Last weekend I joined another BOM (now many people are probably saying "Are you nuts!!" - the answer is yes) but this one is easy!!!  It's the 2014 NewFO Challenge, and the rules are simple:

Each month, I start something new, at least one thing and I don't have to worry if it's a big project or a small one.  As long as you start it (you don't have to complete it) and then keep on updating CatPatch how the project is going.  You don't have to ever finish it....

You can put the link on CatPatch to your blog entry where your project is explained.  So here is my blog entry and I'm waiting for the "linky party" is up and going, and I'll add it.

So here it is, the project I started this month.  The pattern is called Harmony Rose Quilt From Red Rooster Quilts (Free Pattern)  and although I liked the look of it, I found the instructions a little hard to follow, so I started with the idea, used my own material for Valentine's Day.  From this pattern picture:



To this...



The flowers are made with Clover yoyo maker.  With Clover these yoyos are easy as heck, can make a number of them in an hour, but looks like I'll need more.  Want to add some to the right side.  I tacked each one on, so they're three dimentional.  The vines I made with bias material and double stitched it on.


You can't see it but eh red border has small gold hearts on it.  Perfect for Valentine's Day.  The quilt is a large laptop quilt at this point, perfectly square (it may grow, I seem to like making large quilts.).  The background is a combination of off whites, with the outer border just plain tan.   I have used applique for the centre heart using the pattern's heart, but decided to piece the hearts on the 2nd border.  I'm not sure I'm happy with it yet.  

I also finished a quilt that I started before Christmas.  It's from the winter Issue fromQuilter's World.  The angels are embroidered - red work - but the rest is pieced work.  The squares are "X" quilted, with red thread on the diamonds but the squares are crossed with white.


I did not do any fancy quilting around the angels, I wanted the embroidery to stand out on its' own but after looking at the actual pattern, think I'll try my free-style quilting skills, and do some quilting around them. The pattern has a lot of circle free style. I still love how my pattern looks.

Comments

  1. Fun projects and a great start to the NewFO 2014 challenge! I'm dropping by through Cat Patches' 2014 NewFO Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sweet Angels. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw...really cute stuff here. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done a great job adapting that pattern. In fact I think I like your version more than the original! Looking forward to see the progress you make on it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One I missed and another done

Summer is almost over

Been busy again